Wisdom in Getting to Unity
It’s hard to reconcile…
1. Our unity and love for one another shows Jesus to our world. John 13:34-35, 17:20-23
2. Unity begins with forgiving. Matt 6:12
3. Unity means we go reconcile. Matthew 5:23-24, 18:15ff
4. We are called to make every effort to keep unity. Eph. 4:1-3
What’s our tendency when there is conflict?
- Flee – leave, avoid, sweep under the rug.
- Fight – attack, blame.
- Triangulate – seek sympathy and allies.
What’s the Way of Jesus? GO. Go directly to the person(s) involved and seek to reconcile.
So, why don’t we go? (discuss)
What can help us? Wisdom in going to talk…
• Prepare yourself by :
- Choosing to believe the best of the other – do not judge, focus on their negative.
- Owning your own part of the problem – log in own eye. Matthew 7:1-3, 2 Sam 10:1-6
• Appeal to unity as you gently approach the other.
• Explain the matter using “I messages” and tentative language.
• Then listen, just listen – seek to understand.
• Admit your fault – apologize if appropriate.
• Seek a mutual solution.
• If you need help, ask for help, someone both trust. Phil 4:2-3
Reconciliation is a Huge Witness!