The Marriage Trap
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from October 27, 2019; “The Marriage Trap” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF)
Main Idea: God’s allowance for divorce does not mean that marriage is a disposable commitment.
1. How are the Pharisees trying to trap Jesus? (Cf. Matthew 19:3)
2. What were the three views on divorce and remarriage were the Pharisees arguing over at his point in history? What OT text were they using?
3. How did Jesus avoid the Pharisees’ trap and turn it around?
4. Why does Jesus bypass Deuteronomy 24:1–4 and God back to Genesis 1:27 and Genesis 2:24?
5.How does God’s intention that a man leave his father and mother and cling to his wife emphasize the kind of commitment God envisions?
6. How does the fact that God unites husband and wife together in a “one flesh” union emphasize the importance of marriage? How does this help us understand the pain that accompanies divorce?
7. How does Jesus’ teaching on marriage affect your view of marriage? How should his teaching on marriage affect your present experience of it? If you are single how should it affect your pursuit of marriage?
8. Read Ephesians 5:22–33 and discuss how the ultimate picture of marriage (Christ and the Church) should impact our marriages today (what would this picture look like in real life)?
9. How can the bedrock truth that Jesus is forever committed to his bride (those who have come to faith in him) help you overcome the shame and pain of a divorce you have gone through?
10. What can you take from this sermon and share with others in your life?