Sermon Discussion: The Warning of Hell
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from October 13, 2019; “The Warning of Hell.” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF)
1. Who are the “little ones” in verse 42?
2. What sin is Jesus warning his twelve-disciples about committing in verse 42? How serious is this kind of sin to Jesus?
3. How would you describe the possible “sin” (skandalidzo) of the “little ones” in verse 42?
4. How does John 10:27–28 protect us from misapplying / misunderstanding this sin (skandalidzo)?
5. How does Hebrews 2:1; 18; 19 help us understand why Jesus would warn his own disciples against this “sin” (skandalidzo)? How does verse 19 help us understand why some people ultimately fall away from Jesus while other stumble, sin, and even rebel against him but always turn back in humble repentance.
6. How would you describe eternity to a 15-year old?
7. How serious is arrogant, divisive, and exclusionary discipleship to Jesus? How common is it within the church at large? How can we take this kind of sin as seriously as Jesus wants us to take it?
8. Consider your journey toward faith in Jesus. If you grew up in the church or were active in the church, do you recall the moment that you finally realized you were eternally lost apart from personal faith in Jesus? Can you remember someone who was in the similar place but ultimately rejected Jesus and walked away?
9. How can the horrors of hell encourage you to have even greater compassion on the unbelievers in your life?
10. What do you sense God calling you to do as a result of this message?