Sermon Discussion Questions: The Pattern and Path to Greatness
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from November 17, 2019; “The Pattern and Path to Greatness.” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF)
Main Idea: Sacrificial service is the path to true greatness because Jesus served us first (through his atoning sacrifice)
1. Read Mark 8:31; 9:31; and 10:33–40.
- Identify the similarities between these passages.
- Identify the differences between these passages and explain how Jesus uses these differences to progressively reveal his mission.
- How should the disciples respond to this final revelation in Mark 10:33–40?
2. Why did Jesus say that James and John didn’t really understand what they were asking? What were they missing?
3. What is the difference between how the world pursues greatness and how God’s people pursue true greatness?
4. What does it mean that Jesus came to give his live as a “ransom”? (What passages help us see this?)
5. How does Jesus redefine true greatness?
6. How is Jesus encouraging you and I in this text to devote ourselves to humble service?
7. What makes it hard for you to serve other people? How much of this problem flows from your perception of yourself?
8. How can the truth that “you will never be able stoop lower or sacrifice more than Jesus has already sacrificed for you” free you to serve others as Jesus commands you too?
9. Who is God calling you to serve as a result of this message and in what way?
10. Is there an area of service in the local church that you have been avoiding and that God may now be calling you to engage?