Sermon Discussion Questions: Boss and Slave… oil and Water
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from November 24, 2019; “Boss and Slave…..Oil and Water?” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF)
Main Idea: Believers follow Jesus by using their power/privilege to serve those around them.
1. Read Mark 10:46-52
2. What about Jesus is the crowd not seeing that Bartimaeus is seeing?
3. What is the difference between the way the crowd is coming to Jesus and the way Bartimaeus is coming to Jesus?
4. The crowd silences Bartimaeus. What does that reveal about their hearts?
5. What do we learn about faith from this passage?
- Does faith create the miracle?
- What does faith come to Jesus looking for? (answer: life flowing from a relationship with Jesus, not life flowing out of power/privilege/status…..see Hebrews 11:6)
6. Where else in the Bible do we see the two pictures of God as both king and servant?
1. In what ways do you see yourself in a position of power and privilege?
2. How have you used this position to serve others?
3. How have you failed to use this position to serve others?
4. Jesus became the outcast to take our rightful place of separation from God. In doing so, he suffered the penalty for every time we have failed to use our positions of power and privilege to serve others. How does this help you approach learning to serve others?