Sermon Discussion: Christ’s Love: Our Sap and Food – John 15:1-11
Main Idea: Believers abide in Christ and bear fruit the way Christ abides in the Father, unbelievers don’t.
1. When Jesus calls himself the true vine and the Father the vinedresser, what does that show us about their relationship?
2. When did Jesus begin receiving the Father’s warm affections (see John 17:24)? Why is that important?
3. How did the Son of God enjoy his Father’s love to the max (see John 15:11–12)?
4. How do we know that Jesus is claiming in this text that disciples are privileged to enjoy this same love relationship with himself and the Father? (See also John 14:23; 17:23, 26)
5. What are the branches to do with the love they are given? And how is that related to Christ’s commandments? (See also Romans 13:10; Galatians 5:14)
1. What are some of the motivations to be faithful that you experience as you walk with Christ?
2. How do those motivations contrast with a sweet resting in Christ’s love for you and a desire to share that with others?
3. In what ways do you find yourself trying to produce fruit on your own?
4. How does prayer keep you dependent on God as you seek to love those around you?
5. We all struggle in different ways to believe God loves us. In what ways do you struggle? What Scriptures have you found that help you?