Sermon Discussion Questions: The Promise of the Resurrection
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from January 12, 2020; “The Promise of the Resurrection.” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection.
Main Idea: The Word of God and the Power of God guarantee the resurrection promises of God.
1. Why are the Sadducees beliefs important to their interaction with Jesus?
2. What is the strength of their attack against the Resurrection?
3. Why do the Sadducees believe their story of the seven husbands shows the resurrection to be a ridiculous belief?
4. What are the two fundamental reason why the Sadducees “wrong” (24) and “very wrong” (27)?
5. How do these two reasons (above) cause them to view both marriage and the afterlife wrongly?
6. How is Exodus 3:4–6 (Mark 12:26) function as an argument for the resurrection?
7. How do the intermediate state and eternal state differ?
8. What impacted you the most in this message?
9. How can the promise of resurrection fuel our hope and peace even when the experience of death may be very painful?
10. How can the promise of the intermediate state and eternal state bolster bring us peace when our loved ones in Christ die?
11. How can the promise of resurrection encourage us to throw ourselves into the priorities and work of the Kingdom of God?
12. What do you think God is calling you to do as a result of this message?