Sermon Discussion: Indefatigable Kingdom
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from May 12, 2019 “Indefatigable Kingdom” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF Link)
Main Idea: The Kingdom of God is utterly unstoppable because it grows all by itself.
I. The Kingdom of God Grows all by Itself (Mark 4:26–29)
II. The Kingdom of God is Utterly Unstoppable (Mark 4:30–34)
Read Mark 4:26–29 before answering the following questions.
1. How should be interpret the primary elements of this parable (i.e., the seed, the sower, and the soil)?
2. How is this parable different than the parable of the Sower, the Seed, and the Soil in Mark 4:1–8? (Mark 4:27)
3. If the “sower” cannot make the seed grow, why should Christians share the gospel at all?
4. How can God’s sovereign work in the gospel encourage you to devote more time to evangelism and continue sharing with those who have not yet responded to the gospel?
5.How can this truth protect you from discouragement when people do not respond immediately to the gospel? (Cf. Ezek 55:10–11; John 3:5–8)
Read Mark 4:20–32 before answering the following questions.
6. How is the parable of the Mustard Seed different from the previous two parables?
7. When Jesus compares the Kingdom of God to a tiny seed that grows into a tree-like bush, what does he want us to know about the Kingdom?
8. How does a mustard bush emphasize Jesus point better than an oak tree or a cedar tree?
9. How does this parable help us understand Jesus’ second coming in light of his life and ministry?
10. How do you know if you are truly pursuing things that will last?
11. How does increasing joy and satisfaction in Jesus protect you from devoting yourself to the things that will not last in such a way that your Christian life is an overflow of delight not an oppressive burden? (Pss 37:4)
12. How were you personally impacted by this message?
13. What do you sense God calling you to do as a result of this message?