Sermon Discussion: The Sower, The Seed, and The Soil – Part 2
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon from April 28, 2019, “The Sower, the Seed, and the Soil – Part 2.” These questions can be used for discussion in small groups, family devotions, or for personal reflection. (PDF Link)
Main Idea: Saving faith is manifest in persevering faith and persistent fruitfulness.
1. Have you ever struggled with your security in Jesus? If so what caused you to doubt? What helped you find security?
2. Have you ever witnessed a close friend or family member abandon their faith in Jesus? What “caused” them to do it / what reason(s) did they give?
3. How have you interacted with them since this happened?
4. How do the first three soils help us understand the spiritual realities behind their abandonment? (i.e., Is God failing to fulfill his promises? Is the Gospel “seed” ineffective?)
5. How is the four soil’s “hearing” ultimately characterized by two kinds of “hearing” not four? (i.e., How does Jesus clearly distinguish the first three soil’s “hearing” from the “good soil’s” hearing in the original language?)
6. According to 1 Peter 1:3 and 2 Cor 5:17 what singular attribute distinguishes true-believers from those who do not believe in Jesus? (Cf. John 3:3–8; Ezek 36:25–27; Deut 30:6)
7. How can true-believers rest assured that we will never fall away from Jesus if saving faith is truly manifest in persevering faith and persistent fruitfulness (joyful obedience)? (Cf. 1 Pet 1:3–6; Phil 1:6)
8. According to 1 Peter 1:7–9, what does God’s “guarding” (1 Pet 1:5) look like in a true-believer’s life?
9. How does the following statement help us understand the main point of this parable? Persevering faith and persistent fruit are not works we have to perform in our own power to protect our salvation; they are the proof that we have been born again through repentance and faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
10. How were you personally impacted by this message?
11. What do you sense God calling you to do as a result of this message?